Thursday, February 24, 2005

So much to say...

Between being in England and having a lot of time for reading and surfing the Internet, I have a lot to say...

It's cold here. Even though the temperature is in the forties, it feels colder than home. I think the reason is that everything is damp here. Every day, it seems, it snows or rains. (The snow doesn't stick.) Somehow the wet cold just sinks into the bones....oh for some dry sub-zero Farenheit weather!

Lexie and I went to St. Mark's, the local Anglican church, today. The church runs a play group for young mothers and their children in the area. Karena and Arthur stayed home to catch up on sleep....poor Arthur has a cold, too. Lexie played play-do, and I talked to English mothers for about an hour. For the last half hour, everyone sits in a circle and sings songs like "Old MacDonald," "If You're Happy and You Know It." Lexie was a doll, and we had great fun. :-)

I've been skimming "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat" by Oliver Sacks. It's amazingly interesting and sometimes disturbing. Sacks is a neurologist and writes about all sorts of different cases of mental disorders. One poor woman involuntarily mimicked everyone she saw. One man would, as you see from the title, grab his wife's head and try to lift it up to place it on its head! An old man would walk on a twenty degree tilt and think he was upright! And so on. Makes one appreciate the complexity of the brain...you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone!!

When we went for a walk yesterday, we walked by all the colleges. They are really amazing. Huge, old, and beautiful. If only my stupid camera starts working again, I can get some more pics. I might walk into town by myself. It'll be easier to get pictures that way than trying to frame King's Chapel and keep up with Alexandra Lois at the same time!

2 comments:

Aaron said...

bria, I love your blog...quite lovely, sophisticated and VERY informative....something I am craving from you. Love Mama

Aaron said...

bria, I love your blog...quite lovely, sophisticated and VERY informative....something I am craving from you. Love Mama